Thursday, March 21, 2013

Did someone say Hot Pockets?

   A year ago today, JMU players were scattered around the country 19 days after completing a disappointing 12-20 season that culminated with a first round loss in the CAA tournament. 

   So where were Andre Nation, Rayshawn Goins, A.J. Davis, and Devon Moore as the NCAA tournament got underway for the 74th time. 

   "I mean, after losing the CAA last year, i really didn't want to watch anything that had to do with basketball because my season was over," Davis admitted. "But in the end, it humbled me and got me back to work for this year." After a slow and testy start to the season, Davis did show up to work for the Dukes in the final six weeks of the season. He came to work jacked up on caffeine too scoring in double figures in 10 of the last 11 JMU games. He was good for a total of 205 points over that stretch (18.6/game). 

   How about Rayshawn? He had missed all last season after Gene Swindle and him collided in practice before the season. 
   "Me myself, i had a torn labrum. So i probably was somewhere in the training room, getting some treatment, doing some rehab," Goins said. "I'm sure i wasn't watching basketball because it was like a sickening feeling knowing i was hurt and i wasn't able to help my team last year. I was probably getting some treatment."
   Devon Moore wasn't even in Harrisonburg when the big dance started.

   "I was probably in Columbus (his hometown) either working out or enjoying my time with my family. But i definitely wasn't watching basketball."
   Then there's freshman standout Andre Nation. 
  
   "I was probably laying on the couch watching basketball," Nation said. "I was probably laying on the couch, eating a Hot Pocket or something." When asked which one he was munching on, Nation responded, "the pepperoni one man. Pepperoni and cheese, all day, every day."
  
   Nation was at his home in Plant City, Florida soaking up the rays and the basketball action.
   "I always watch march Madness, man," he said. "It's just a good time for basketball. I'm pretty sure i was watching basketball at the time. 
   Jim Gaffigan would probably be disappointed in Nation if he heard this one.

In the end, look at what the difference a year makes. In just a year, this team has gone from a bottom basement CAA club to the "best 16 seed" Jim Nantz has ever seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment